Monday, April 23, 2007

Yosef's Bird

Today, I was trying to braid Mihret's hair, but it was being made increasingly difficult due to Lucas and Yosef squabbling all morning. It was a nice day, so I was sitting outside to work on her hair. Inspired by the chirping birds in the bushes, I decided that if Lucas and Yosef could work together to catch a bird, they could keep it as a pet. Now mind you, not in a million years did I ever think that they would actually catch a bird! They worked and worked. But after 30 minutes, still no bird. Then, Lucas decided that they would use an old fishing net in the garage. That kept them occupied for another 10 minutes. Then Yosef decided that Lucas was more of a hindrance than he was helpful. He complained to me that Lucas was too loud and scarred the birds away before he could catch them. So, I told Lucas to go with his net to a different part of the yard. You know, diversifying their area in order to increase their odds of capturing a little birdie! Some more time passed and I went inside for a few minutes. All of a sudden, I heard a very loud bird noise and realized that it was in the house! I went into the living room and there stood Yosef cupping a bird in his hands! He actually caught a bird! I screamed, "Don't let it go!!!!!!", fearing that I'd never be able to get it out of the house! So, suddenly I had a little bit of an unforeseen dilemma on my hands...actually, my dilemma was in Yosef's hands! I had made a promise that they could keep it because I have never heard of a kid actually catching a bird before! But my son did it! Not quite knowing what the long-term plan was, I went to the garage in search of a box to keep it in while I figured out what I was going to do. Lucky for me, the little bird was so panic stricken that Yosef suddenly felt bad for it. Much to Lucas's dismay, Yosef decided to release it. So, Yosef tossed it gently into the air, Lucas cried, and I breathed a sigh of relief that I wouldn't have to keep my word to allow it be a pet! Whew! That was a close one! I will certainly put more thought into future potential pets! :)

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! I can't believe he caught it either! I'm happy for both you and the bird that he decided to let it go!

Sharon

Elizabeth F. said...

Wow! Unbelievable and funny! You better be careful of the promises that you make in the future. he..he...

Angela :-) said...

I let my kids try to start a fire with sticks once thinking it'd be impossible. Um, well, it happened. LOL

Angela :-)

Kaitlyn said...

Oh my goodness! Fire!?!?! That's soooo funny! I guess I won't offer that as an activity! :)
Heather

shell said...

i love it! kids are so smart!

Stacy said...

In Guatemala, the people actually try to catch pigeons. It's said that if you catch one, you'll have good luck. At least that's what my almost-daughter's foster mother told me when the kids were chasing the pigeons. (Her daughter actually caught one a few years back, and they had to keep it in a cage in the yard.) So that must mean Yosef is a lucky boy.

Nichole Foster said...

I nominated you and Avery for the THinking Blogger Award, can't wait to see what blogs make you think.

The H Land said...

Well you can always get them a parakeet or some other type of typical pet bird. :)

Angela

Anonymous said...

HILARIOUS!