Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Kaiy Baher- "Red Sea"

I have no idea how to say "bad" in Amharic and don't have the ambition to look it up right now, though "Bad Day" would perhaps be a more appropriate title for this post. I'm thinking that if baetantero means "very good" that perhaps putting aiye in front of it would mean "not very good"???? It doesn't matter...

For those of you who are reading this who are of the praying sort, I hope you'll take a moment to pray for my Ethiopian children who are in Addis Abeba awaiting adoption. We have had many hold ups in this unusually lengthy process (unusual for Ethiopian adoptions). We have been waiting on just one signature for a long time now and were informed this morning that the person who had agreed to sign the paperwork has decided that she will not do it. So, that leaves us...well....I don't know where that leaves us. It leaves me with two of my kids on the otherside of the world still.

I think of how the Israelites must have felt when they were fleeing from the Egyptian army and they came to the Kaiy Baher (Red Sea). There was no way of escape. God told his man Moses to lift his arm toward the sea and to pray. Moses did that, but there was no instant miracle. Actually, God performed the miracle all throughout the night by sending a nice steady wind to dry up a path right through the Kaiy Baher for the Israelites to pass through on. Even in light of this miracle, can you imagine walking on a path with a huge wall of water on either side of you???? I think I'd have been scarred stiff! Well, that's how I feel right now. We've come to this place where it seems impossible that our kids will ever leave Ethiopia. Like Moses, we've obeyed what we think God has asked of us, but we haven't received an instant miracle. I am not ready to give up, but I don't see how it can possibly happen at this point. I do know though that we can trust God. My heart of hearts tells me that someday, my children will indeed be home in my arms in America. But I have no tangible reason for believing that other than the fact that I trust God. I've come to the place of finding comfort in knowing that even if the worst happened and my kids never come home, that I can still trust God. Even if things don't turn out the way I want them to, I know that I can still trust God to lead me down the paths that He has chosen for me to walk on. He is faithful to never leave us or forsake us, nor will he ever forsake my Ethiopian children for He is a father to the fatherless.

So, with that said, though I am having an aiye baetantero day, nothing can shake the fact that the things that God has planned for our lives are always baetantero, even when we can't see the way of escape. Amaseganallo (thank you) for taking a moment to pray for my children.

2 comments:

Meg said...

We will pray that your children will be with you soon- Good Luck and God bless. We are beginning the process of adoption and are torn right now where God is leading us....either Asia or Ethiopia.....we wait until we know!

owlhaven said...

Praying you get that signature soon...

Mary, mom to many